What is meant by law?
by Bob Jennings
The word law occurs about 75 times in the book of Romans. There are various meanings:
1. Sometimes it means principle: “a different law in the members of my body, Romans 7:23. It speaks of the way things work, such as, the “law of gravity”.
2. Sometimes it refers to a rule of conduct: “a law to themselves”, Romans 2:14. A man may have no Bible, yet his conscience is his rule of conduct. The law officer enforces the law, the rules of conduct.
3. Sometimes it refers to the whole Old Testament Scriptures: “You who boast in the Law”, Romans 2:23. The Jews had the written revelation of God’s rule of conduct.
4. Sometimes it refers to the Pentetuch, the first five Books of the OT: “the law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms”, Luke 24:44.
5. Sometimes it refers to the Ten Commandments: “has fulfilled the law. For this, You shall not”, Romans 13:8-9.
6. Sometimes it refers to the Old Covenant, that is, Judaism, or the Historic dispensation of Law: “to the Jews, to those who are under the Law”, 1 Cor. 9:21, Ga. 4:4, Romans 5:20, 2 Cor. 3.
7. Sometimes law means the system of works: “for as many as are of the works of the Law”, Galatians 3:10.
Christ, The Law and You
Jesus said that He didn't come to abolish the law, but rather to fulfill it. What does Jesus mean when He says that?
God’s Glory as Law Giver
God is a God who communicates and He communicates to us His will through His laws. 1 Timothy 1:11 - in accordance with the gospel of the glory of the blessed God with which I have been entrusted.
The Law Fulfilled in Christ (Matthew 5:19)
Tim considers what Jesus means in Matthew 5:19 when He says, "whoever relaxes one of the least of these commandments...
Be Careful Before You Call Someone Antinomian
When you start talking this way people want to label you as antinomian, you know saying, "You guys just allow everything." No, that's not it...
The Christian is Not Under the Law
The Christian is not under the law, but is being changed into Christ's image as they live a life looking to Him.
The Law Imprisoned Men Until Christ Came
Men are imprisoned under the law but due to the weakness of the flesh they do not want to be there.
We Live With Our Eyes On Christ
The Galatians were wanting to be perfected and grow and advance in the Christian life...
Paul Preached Christ Crucified, Not Works
The Apostle Paul was being accused of preaching a different gospel to the Jews and to the Gentiles.
Offering Sacrifices Outside of the Camp
Christ is Him who abandoned comfort and safety and went outside of the camp to suffer and die upon the Cross for our sins.
Two Mountains: Mt. Zion & Mt. Sinai
Mt. Sinai says "Do this and you will live." Yet Mt. Zion shouts "It is finished!"
A Study on the Law and Legalism
Many people will make the accusation of legalism against those who confront them about their sin. But what exactly is legalism? It is common to have legalism sneak in the door in many churches, make sure your right.