Some newlyweds asked me some questions. Here are my answers…
I. The Secret of a Lasting Marriage?
The secret of a lasting marriage and a happy marriage is in perpetually, continually, habitually giving God the number one position, purpose and passion in your lives and marriage. It is hard for two proud people to get along. As you walk humbly with your God, all is smooth.
II. The Source of Strength?
The source of strength is water from the well of salvation and bread from heaven. Keep prayed up and read up or the devil will claw your mind.
III. Essential Principles in Making a Marriage Work?
Don’t compromise the things of God for your marriage. It is sour in the end. To become INGROWN is no glory to God or happiness for self. Example: the most enjoyable vacations for us have been when they were incorporated with the people of God or the things of God or ministry in some way. You are married for God’s purposes and His glory primarily. “Let those who have wives be as though they had none”, 1 Cor. 7. You are on no eternal honeymoon but rather a workplace and a battlefield.
IV. What Have I Learned?
- It is very important for the man to be diligent in business and get his work done. When he is not happy with his work, he is not happy with himself before God and thus it carries over in the marriage relationship.
- The enjoyment of one another need not decrease with years.
V. What advice could I give that marriage might be the best it could be?
- Always take time to talk, one on one, even if it is only for five minutes in bed after a weary day.
- Tell one another any complaints, but do it in the right way and at the right time – no pot shots.
- “Would you please forgive me” is a mighty big thing.
- Don’t take one another for granted. Give a kiss and a compliment.