Our churches fortnightly men’s group study looking at Spiritual Disciplines For The Purpose of Godliness has been such a great blessing to my soul. Last night we looked at journaling which has been I think the most helpful to me so far. Inspired by George Whitefield I have compiled a list of 10 daily personal goals for me to be accountable for and examine my progress each day, which I share with you below for your edification and encouragement. Reading and considering these Scriptures alone is a worthwhile exercise. Please PRAY that the Lord would give me much grace in keeping these.
1. been looking unto Jesus (Heb 12:2), keeping His glory (1 Cor 10:31) & me becoming like Him (1 John 3:2-3) at the centre of all these goals and in all that I do (Matt 6:33).
- Heb 12:2-3 “fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. 3 For consider Him who has endured such hostility by sinners against Himself, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.”
- 1 Cor 10:31 “Whether, then, you eat or drink or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.”
- 1 John 3:2-3 “Beloved, now we are children of God, and it has not appeared as yet what we will be. We know that when He appears, we will be like Him, because we will see Him just as He is. 3 And everyone who has this hope fixed on Him purifies himself, just as He is pure.”
- Matt 6:33 “But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you”
2. followed my Lord’s example and spent quality time in solitude with My Father in heaven (Mark 1:35; Luke 5:16) in prayer and His Word seeking to know and have communion with Him (Matt 6:6; John 17:3).
- Mark 1:35 “In the early morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house, and went away to a secluded place, and was praying there.”
- Luke 5:16 “But Jesus Himself would often slip away to the wilderness and pray.”
- Matt 6:6 “But you, when you pray, go into your inner room, close your door and pray to your Father who is in secret, and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you.”
- John 17:3 “This is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent.”
3. made the best use of the time and not mindlessly wasted it away (Eph 5:16; Psa 90:12; James 4:13-14).
- Eph 5:16 “making the most of your time, because the days are evil.”
- Psalm 90:12 “So teach us to number our days, That we may present to You a heart of wisdom.”
- James 4:13-14 “Come now, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to such and such a city, and spend a year there and engage in business and make a profit.” 14 Yet you do not know what your life will be like tomorrow. You are just a vapor that appears for a little while and then vanishes away.”
4. confessed all sin immediately as it’s known (1 John 1:6-9; 1 Cor 4:4; Psa 66:18).
- 1 John 1:6-9 “If we say that we have fellowship with Him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth; 7 but if we walk in the Light as He Himself is in the Light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin. 8 If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.”
- 1 Cor 4:4 “For I am conscious of nothing against myself, yet I am not by this acquitted; but the one who examines me is the Lord. “
- Psalm 66:18 “If I regard wickedness in my heart, The Lord will not hear”
5. been diligent in the study of God’s Word (Prov 2:1-6) in a spirit of reverence and humble submission to Him (Luke 10:39,42; Ex 3:5; Jam 1:21) with the aim of putting what I learn from Him into practice (Jam 1:22; Mat 7:24).
- Luke 10:39, 42 “She had a sister called Mary, who was seated at the Lord’s feet, listening to His word. … 42 but only one thing is necessary, for Mary has chosen the good part, which shall not be taken away from her”
- Prov 2:1-6 “My son, if you will receive my words And treasure my commandments within you, 2 Make your ear attentive to wisdom, Incline your heart to understanding; 3 For if you cry for discernment, Lift your voice for understanding; 4 If you seek her as silver And search for her as for hidden treasures; 5 Then you will discern the fear of the LORD And discover the knowledge of God. 6 For the LORD gives wisdom; From His mouth come knowledge and understanding. “
- Exodus 3:5 “Then He said, “Do not come near here; remove your sandals from your feet, for the place on which you are standing is holy ground.”
- James 1:21-22 “Therefore, putting aside all filthiness and all that remains of wickedness, in humility receive the word implanted, which is able to save your souls. 22 But prove yourselves doers of the word, and not merely hearers who delude themselves.”
- Matt 7:24 “Therefore everyone who hears these words of Mine and acts on them, may be compared to a wise man who built his house on the rock”
6. given immediate thanks for every pleasure the Lord has given me? (Jam 1:17; Col 3:15)
- James 1:17 “Every good thing given and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shifting shadow.”
- Col 3:15 “Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body; and be thankful.”
7. made careful use of my words for the glory of God (Mat 12:36-37; Jam 1:26; Prov 10:19, 29, 31; 29:20; Eph 4:15,29; Jam 1:19-20; Col 3:8; Col 4:6; Ecc 3:7).
- Matt 12:36-37 “But I tell you that every careless word that people speak, they shall give an accounting for it in the day of judgment. 37 For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.”
- James 1:26 “If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless.”
- Prov 10:19 “When there are many words, transgression is unavoidable, But he who restrains his lips is wise.”
- Prov 10:31 “The mouth of the righteous flows with wisdom, But the perverted tongue will be cut out.”
- Prov 29:20 “Do you see a man who is hasty in his words? There is more hope for a fool than for him.”
- Eph 4:15 “but speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in all aspects into Him who is the head, even Christ”
- Eph 4:29 “Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, so that it will give grace to those who hear.”
- James 1:19-20 “This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; 20 for the anger of man does not achieve the righteousness of God.”
- Col 3:8 “But now you also, put them all aside: anger, wrath, malice, slander, and abusive speech from your mouth.”
- Col 4:6 “Let your speech always be with grace, as though seasoned with salt, so that you will know how you should respond to each person.”
- Ecc 3:7 “A time to tear apart and a time to sew together; A time to be silent and a time to speak.”
8. Loved and cared for my wife, living with her in an understanding way (1 Pet 3:7).
- 1 Pet 3:7 “You husbands in the same way, live with your wives in an understanding way, as with someone weaker, since she is a woman; and show her honor as a fellow heir of the grace of life, so that your prayers will not be hindered.”
- Eph 5:25-26 “Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself up for her, 26 so that He might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word”
9. Instructed our children in the ways of the Lord (Prov 22:6; Eph 6:4), being diligent in this (Deut 6:7), but not exasperating them (Col 3:21).
- Prov 22:6 “Train up a child in the way he should go, Even when he is old he will not depart from it.”
- Eph 6:4 “Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger, but bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord. “
- Deut 6:7 “You shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up. “
- Col 3:21 “Fathers, do not exasperate your children, so that they will not lose heart.”
10. Shared the Gospel with someone (Rom 10:14; Mar 16:15; Ecc 11:4; 2 Cor 5:20).
- Rom 10:14 “How then will they call on Him in whom they have not believed? How will they believe in Him whom they have not heard? And how will they hear without a preacher? “
- Mark 16:15 “And He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation.”
- Ecc 11:4 “He who watches the wind will not sow and he who looks at the clouds will not reap.”
- 2 Cor 5:20 “Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were making an appeal through us; we beg you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God.”